Artificial intelligence also called AI refers to the simulation of the intelligence in human beings in machines that are programmed to think like humans and demonstrate their actions. This term may also be applied to any machine that displays traits associated with a human thinking pattern such as learning and problem-solving.
AI is all the trend and craze—from self-driving cars and Alexa or Google personal assistants, to chat-bots and email scheduling applications that will take routine tasks out of human hands.
Every organization involved in tech whether a start-up or long-established now has some element of “AI” in its product offering and many are making promises of it, or should I just say functional aspirations.
To make real sense of this awesome technology, being able to separate the reality from the myths is very essential.
So, let’s demystify!
Myth 1: AI Robots Will Rule Humans
Lol, The possibility of AI ruling the world is 1 in a million. Although technology is advancing, we still far from developing full cognitive machines.
“Cognitive” technologies can’t solve problems they weren’t designed to solve. Period!
Human interpretation and judgment are typically required to address the types of problems that standard programming of the So-called “cognitive” technologies approaches cannot solve. These problems include where precise conditions and outcomes cannot be predicted in areas with the use of ambiguous languages, deep image recognition, and execution of complex tasks.
A classic example will be the interpretation of the correct meaning of “stock” from its usage in a particular context—whether something that a retailer keeps as inventory or the instrument that a financial advisor would recommend.
You watched the I-robot movie too many times.
Myth 2: AI Will Control the World
AI will control the world is similar to saying AI will rule us. Separating the myth and facts about super-intelligent AI is not an easy task.
Primarily, AI with superintelligence is still far off in the future, with today’s technology being nowhere close to replicating this task. While the myths about AI superintelligence are well-rooted in theory, creating a super-intelligent AI is not yet possible with today’s technology. AI simply just machines, they will always need human maintenance.
Myth 3: AI Will Take Over Jobs
I will try to keep this one simple. AI cannot take your job, well if it’s not archaic. Instead, AI is creating new jobs and simplifying ambiguous tasks allowing us to focus on the more decisive ones.
AI is automating the jobs that require less human effort and allowing us to focus energy on the task that drives results quickly and cannot be fully automated.
The presence of AI has birthed many career paths that breeds innovation and creative thinking processes. As it is, AI is an augmentation rather than complete automation and replacement. Humans engage, machines simplify. There will always be the need for humans in the loop to interact with humans at some level.
Artificial intelligence today is properly known as weak AI or narrow AI (or), in that it is designed to perform a narrow task (e.g. only facial recognition or only internet searches or only driving a car). However, the long-term goal of many researchers is to create general AI (AGI or strong AI).
While narrow AI may outperform humans at whatever its specific task is, like playing chess or solving equations, AGI would outperform humans at nearly every cognitive task.
So, what does AI really do? In one sentence, it complements our work!
AI brings new streams to tech
AI-powered technology is a technological advancement that is drastically changing how operations are carried out in many ways. By the use of machine learning and robots, artificial intelligence is offering business organizations and individuals multiple benefits that make life much easier.
- Virtual assistants: AI has changed the way a large number of organizations operate through the introduction of virtual assistants also known as chatbots. Customers can now get immediate and quick responses through programmed virtual assistants who offer quality feedback.
- Predictive analytics: AI has brought big foresight for companies and organizations through predictive analysis. Most organizations fail because they do not have the necessary skills and technology to predict the future or even make an adequate estimation of what could occur. This technology helps ensure that AI performs forecasting, which plays a critical role in predicting the future.
- Accuracy of analysis: AI-powered technology is reliable enough in completing analytics. This is because most of the tasks handled by individuals are prone to human error.
- Handling Repetitive Jobs: It can be tedious handling repeated jobs. Those kinds of tasks can be easily handled with the help of an AI algorithm largely because these kinds of jobs don’t require much intelligence in between the process. Machine intelligence can be employed to carry out dangerous tasks that may cause injury to the human involved in that.
- Medical Applications: One of the great advantages of Artificial Intelligence is its utilization in the field of medicine. Through the help of AI medical experts can assess the patient’s health-related data and intimates the risk factors to the patient. It also helps bring the patient to know about the side effects of different medicines and also behaves as personal digital care. The artificial surgery simulator is the great innovation part of AI.
AI is changing lives and creating opportunities. It will continue to do so but like every other agent such as a fire. It can be an excellent medium of heat for cooking and a terrifying furnace for buildings and properties.
Nonetheless, the full potential of AI remains untapped and the possibilities endless with different career paths opening up.
By Sam Ayo: www.linkedin.com/in/sam-ayo